Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Gallery of Reflections

I bought a new film scanner recently and so can transfer old color slides onto a tiny chip, stick that in my computer, and archive them there.  If I want, I can high-light one and shoot it off by e-mail.  Or I can select a batch, click "Slide Show," and watch them on my computer.  Or, if I had the smarts to convey them to my TV (downstairs), I could presumably gather an audience of real live people and let them in on the goodies.  In the old days, we'd put these slides in a slide tray, get out the Kodak projector, set it on the coffee table, adjust its height just-so, haul out the silver-beaded screen, unfold its tripod legs, and set that in the middle of the living room.  We'd cozy up in chairs around the room, maybe make some hot chocolate, and re-live some trip we'd taken.

So now I've scanned the best of the best into my computer, a process that--together with my decidedly very recent digital shots--reveals the possibility of several thematic shows.  Dramatic cloud formations.  Raggedy bus rides through raggedy countries.  And here's one that I call "Reflections."  So, virtual audience that we are (without benefit of that hot chocolate or such shared comments, as, "Ohhh, I remember that place!"), let's sit back and take a look at new and old reflections in pools, glass, and even (just below), a shiny floor.

This is the airport in Seoul, South Korea, where I was in transit to Bali.  Although it was already January 20th (the day of President Obama's inauguration), the Christmas decorations were still up.

I love this wobbly reflection from Montpellier, France

Here's a store on Kalakaua Avenue, Waikiki, Hawaii ...

... and another close by

Below is some palimpsest-like figure back there taking a photo ...


... at the Waikiki Aquarium















Here are reflections on two buildings:
This one is in the heart of Honolulu...



... and here's the curved surface of Toronto's Hydro building
And in two pools:


One in Tangiers, Morocco ...

... and the other in Rockefeller Center, New York City













Finally, here are reflections in two more windows:

A Canyon Road art gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with a bouquet in the window





And here, through the glass, is a squirrel on a bird feeder





















 So now we'll fold up the screen until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment