Saturday, February 18, 2012

Winter Paintings

I'm very fond of winter paintings because of the nuance of the whites, creams, greys.  In my own work, I tend to pop in a lot of softened blues and purples for the sky and shadows.  And sometimes a bit of lemon yellow for the weakened sunlight.  But of all the seasons, I've produced the fewest of winter.  I find it impossible to be out in the cold, though once--I was in Scotland and it was supposed to be spring--I worked in my mittens.  And though I often do (only) landscapes from photos, I rarely scout out possible scenes this time of year.

However, here are some I've done in oil.

"Winter Light"
"In the Silence"
"Winter Along Kipling Road"
"Last Light"
"January Hillside"

And here's a Santa Fe scene in watercolor.
"Winter Chamisa"

No comments:

Post a Comment