Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lisianthus, A Favorite





 

This is the time of year for one of my favorite flowers--lisianthus, also called prairie gentian and eustoma.  It's an elegant, delicate flower very similar to a rose.  It loves hot sunny days and is apparently native to the prairie, to the grasslands.  Though considered a half-hardy perennial, around here it's an annual.



This year I bought purple, white, and light pink lisianthus seedlings which I put into pots. (Another year, I had a splendid deep pink.)  As a casual gardener, I pay enough attention to water them if there's a dry spell.  And I'll dead-head them and weed the pots.  Otherwise, I don't do anything.  But even with that minimal care, they still bloom their little hearts out come August and early September. 

I first saw them more than twenty years ago.  I took some home, immediately got out my watercolors, and rendered a bouquet into a painting.  They are a delight to paint.  They also make a light, airy, splendid bouquet--and even with the stems cut, the buds still bloom!

"Lisianthus, Prairie Gentian"



Detail (with window reflection)



"Lisianthus Dawning"
"August Lisianthus" 

1 comment:

  1. I love Lisianthus, that's why I asked for them in my wedding crown. And I love your Lisianthus portraits. "August Lisianthus" is my favorite--somehow the lovely watery blue perfectly sets off their Lisianthusness.

    ReplyDelete