Saturday, January 18, 2014

Gallery of Photos: Bali

A few years ago, at this exact time of year, I left the frigid Northeast to spend a month in Bali, a place long on my wish-list.  It was my first trip south of the equator.  Korean Airlines took me from JFK over the pole and Siberia to Seoul where I connected with a flight to Bali--a 40-hour trip, door to door.  Bali was as beautiful as I'd been led to believe.  The people were a delight.  The prices were reasonable.  The artistry lovely.  And the food, I found, excellent.  But ... I also wondered if I might get heat prostration, it was so very hot.  (Obviously, my northern blood hadn't adjusted yet.)

I meant to stay in Ubud, in the interior, for the entire visit.  But, feeling that I needed some sea breezes, I eventually moved down to Sanur, right on the Indian Ocean.  All these photos were taken in Ubud except for the last two, taken in Sanur.


View from my hotel room

Sunrise through the palms; rice paddy below

Along the main street


Public market

Artistic gateway

Making trays for offerings of flowers, incense, and food to be set by doors and walkways

Entry to art museum

On a side street

Shop window

Beautiful textiles for sale

Shop along Ubud's main street
Residential area

Food cart on the beach at Sanur

Early morning view of the beach at low tide.


Next week I'll post photos of Balinese trees and flowers.

1 comment: