Saturday, August 23, 2014

An August Supper

A few nights ago a family member joined me for supper, giving me the opportunity to make a couple of favorite recipes--ones I seldom make just for myself.

Since I had recently resurrected my old hibachi, setting it out in the garden where it wouldn't set fire to anything, I decided to make Middle Eastern kebabs from a packet of ground lamb that I had in the freezer.  Being tomato time, it seemed perfect to add a fabulous tomato pie to the menu that I hadn't made for more than a decade.  Then, with cucumbers plentiful, I could toss in a nice cooling Middle Eastern yogurt/cucumber side dish.  So I put on my apron and set to work.


Middle Eastern Ground Lamb Kebabs

1 pound ground lamb
1 slice of white bread, no crusts  (I used a nice, firm sourdough)
1/4 t. ground cumin
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt plus some pepper
A large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 T. tomato paste
1 egg, beaten

Put lamb and bread (torn up) into a food processor and mix well, at least several seconds. (You want to mix the meat and bread but you also want to break the fibers down a bit so that the meat can better stick to the skewers.)  Put into a bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and use your hands to mix well.  Then mold onto your skewers.  I only had 6 so formed the remaining mixture into two patties.  Put on a grill and cook.  This amount could serve 3 people well.








Yogurt and Cucumber Side Dish

Simple.  Grate a couple of small cucumbers.  Mix in some plain yogurt.  I used sheep yogurt, but goat or cow would be fine.  Add a bit of salt and pepper.  And there you've got it.




Tomato Pie

First, make a quiche crust.  The recipe I used for an 8" pan follows:
1 & 1/2 c. flour
1 stick butter
5-6 T. ice water
1/4 t. salt
Prepare as you would any pie dough.  Preheat oven to 400º.  Roll out, arrange on pie plate, prick bottom of crust, and pre-bake for around 8 minutes.  I put a few of those little round pie weights in the bottom but am never sure if I need to.  Take out of oven to cool.

Then, make the filling.  This takes awhile.
3 lbs. of tomatoes.  Drop 3 at a time into boiling water for 10 seconds, take out, peel off skin.  Then cut each in half and squeeze out juice and seeds into a bowl.
1 medium onion.  Dice and saute in olive oil.
1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped.  Add to onion.
Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot along with: 
Salt and pepper
A pinch of dried oregano
3 T. chopped fresh basil
Let cook a bit.  Then remove from heat and put onion/tomato mixture into a colander.  Collect the juice underneath the colander and pour that back into the pot to reduce down until it becomes a thick sauce.
Transfer onion/tomato mixture to a bowl and pour in the reduced juice.
2 eggs.  Beat and add 1/3 c. mayonnaise.  Add this to the cooled tomatoes and reduced juice.
1/4 lb. sharp cheddar cheese.  Grate.  Put half into tomato mixture.
Spread that mixture into the crust and top with the remaining cheese.
Bake 30 minutes at 375º



Here 'tis.  I have to say it was fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment