Saturday, September 20, 2014

Still Lifes: Seven Oil Paintings


Two Pears and a Chinese Bowl on a Kitchen Stool

In doing still lifes, I always seemed to want to get to the painting itself rather than spend much time figuring the set up--the color combinations, light source, design element.  I'd fiddle around a bit until I came up with something I thought I could paint--nothing too complicated since I didn't want to get lost in intricacies, preferring layering color on color.  I also paid attention to painting a bit of the object's reflected color into the shadow as well as a bit of the shadow into the object itself.

Here, then, are seven still lifes, all in oil.

Hot Peppers


Apples, Pears, Plums, and Pomegranate



Chiles on Tissue



Diane's Cauliflower  (a quick sketch)

After the Market


Onions on Foil *
*This isn't painted on aluminum foil; it's painted on canvas.  It's the set up that's on foil which enhances the design element.



No comments:

Post a Comment