Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A List of Lovely Words in No Particular Order

Luminous


I was recently thinking of that beautiful word of Edgar Allan Poe's--"tintinnabulation."  I tried saying it aloud to myself as if I were the English actor, Simon Callow.  (He who was The Reverend Mr. Beebe in A Room With a View.  And the one funeral in Four Weddings and a Funeral.) I pictured him saying it slowly, precisely, beautifully -- tin-tin-na-bu-la (and then taking his time over the last syllable) -shhun.  Being precise with the "shh" sound.  Languishing over it, loving it, not rushing it.

Then, without all that much thought to it, I came up with a little collection of beautiful words that just popped into my head--words that I found exceptionally lovely ... in no particular order.

cherimoya
afternoon
summertime
windowsill
twilight
evening
loon
meadowlark
luminous
hush
windchime
teacup
Palladian
bell
lemondrop
glide
ploughman (that, after reading Edna St. Vincent Millay)


Just for fun, here's the link to Bertrand Russell's 20 favorite words.



No comments:

Post a Comment