Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Gallery of Clouds

I live in a beautiful spot literally surrounded by trees.  Great white pines.  Maples.  Eastern oaks.  Squirrels and chipmunks abound as do crows, cardinals, robins.  But, for me, at least, the horizon around here is too enclosed to see sunsets, moonrises, dawns, plus the wide sweep of both landscape and cloudscape.  When clouds do come, they seem to sit on top of us, simply covering the day.  Once, when dining outdoors with friends in Western New York, off there in the Finger Lake Country, I looked up and said (with great enthusiasm), "Look, a sunset!!"

My friends were amused.  "You have sunsets where you live ..."

"No," I replied, "there are too many trees."

I've always liked Looking Up.  Studying the clouds.  When I lived in Santa Fe, I particularly appreciated this time of year since it brought the sweep of thunderstorms as they advanced from west to east.  And the dry air, the high blue skies proffered a variety of beauties. Cumulonimbus, nimbo-stratus, cirrus, strato cumulus.  I had a cloud book as a child and could rattle the names off better then than I can now.

New Mexico

Illinois
North American Plains
An anvil cloud, New Mexico
Colorado

New Mexico

Colorado
Spain


No comments:

Post a Comment