Saturday, July 21, 2012

"One" Cookies

It's too hot these days to think about much ... certainly not turning on the oven as this recipe requires.  But when the weather moderates, stir these up and see how heavenly they smell while they're baking.  They also go beautifully with a chilled glass of your favorite summer refreshment.

There are times when I like to pore over recipes, note a few that look tempting, and make up an appropriate grocery list.  And ... there are times when I just want to dive in and make something.  For me, making cookies always means hunting out a just-right recipe which can take some time.  So ... I made up a recipe that was easy to remember because it calls for just one of everything.  I call it "One" Cookies.  These are coconut and orange flavored but the recipe lends itself to just about anything.  Cardamom and chopped nuts.  Cinnamon and nutmeg.  Ginger and molasses.  Bits of an organic chocolate bar.

"One" Cookies

Blend 1 stick of (preferably softened) butter with 1 c. brown sugar (hoping it hasn't solidified since you last used it).

Mix in 1 egg.

Add 1 c. flour plus (and here I've cheated a little, but these do add up to 1 teaspoon) ½ t. salt and ½ t. baking soda.  Mix.

Add the zest of 1 medium-size orange plus its juice.  (I like to use an organic orange, especially since I'm using the zest ... which we used to call the grated rind.)

Finally, mix in 1 c. shredded sweetened coconut.

Place in small spoonfuls on a greased or parchment-covered cookie sheet.

Bake 365º for 12-15 minutes.  

Yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment