Saturday, October 27, 2012

Photos of Autumn in Santa Fe



When I lived in Santa Fe some years back, I bought a camera (a point-and-shoot, nothing fancy) and made regular excursions to find scenes to take back to my studio and turn into paintings.  I tried the plein aire thing--painting landscapes from life rather than from photos--but never found it satisfactory.  Ants would crawl up my legs.  Or I'd have to keep shifting to stay out of the sun.  Or a sudden squall would come up.  Or I'd see a striking scene where it wasn't convenient to park myself.  I even came to the conclusion that the best way to pursue plein aire art was to first find an appropriate place to sit and then look around for something to paint.

But I gathered a nice complement of photos.  Here are a few autumnal scenes, all of which I thought I might paint one day.





Mountain aspens

A blue, blue sky and an amazing patch of red

Bandelier Garden on Canyon Road

Up Hyde Park Road behind Santa Fe

The red gate, hint of the scruffy house, plus the silvers and bronzes seemed an unusual, painterly scene.

There's that red patch again ... Hyde Park Road on the way up to the Ski Basin.



Chamisa in bloom
O'Keeffe country ... Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu

No comments:

Post a Comment