Saturday, May 11, 2013

Frisky Answers

Not having a clue how to illustrate this posting, I decided to simply have fun with it and show these paper butterflies.


You know, you've hauled all this stuff from the back of the store (near the pharmacy section) through the aisles to the check-out counter--the packets of toilet paper, the boxes of tissue, the tooth paste, etc.--but then there's no clerk in sight.  She's probably off price-adjusting the lipsticks.  But then she makes her way to the register and asks, "Are you all set?"  In fact, I want to say, "I'm all set; I'm just waiting for you."  But I'm polite, smile, and she rings me up.

Then sometimes, if I'm writing a check for something, a clerk will ask, "Is everything current?"  Have I changed phone numbers, noted a new address?  I'm afraid I could not help myself one day when checking out two separate batches of groceries, one for a friend.  I wrote a check for the first batch and handed it to the clerk.

"Is everything current?"
"Yes," I said.

Then she checked out the second batch for which I wrote another check.  I could barely believe my ears when she asked again, "Is everything current?"

With a broad smile and hoping we could both have a bit of fun with this, I said, "No, I just got married while you were checking me out and I changed my name."  She blinked but didn't say anything.  (It's times like that when I say to myself, "Where's Will Rogers now that we need him!"  I never knew Will Rogers; he died before I was born.  But, as I've heard tell, he had an engaging sense of humor and could make people laugh.  Or at least smile.)

Many years ago, a family member answered the door bell and found a salesman selling encyclopedias.  (Yes, back in those days.)  Already owning at least one set ... and, feeling his oats, the family member said, "I'm sorry, I can't buy anything; I'm illegible."  The salesman looked startled, confused, then skedaddled away.

Another time, when a clerk told a family friend, "Have a nice day," the friend replied, "Thank you, but I have other plans."

Finally, in an airport cafe recently, when I got carded for ordering a glass of wine between flights, I asked the waitress if she'd like to see my Medicare card.  But, even as I said it, good girl that I am, I pulled out my driver's license.

"You just made it," she teased.  We both chuckled. 


2 comments:

  1. Hilarious frisky answers - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must let your frisky flag fly, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete