Saturday, May 18, 2013

Householder into the Woods

Alpenglow on the Himalayas

I have sometimes thought of leaving this country for good (or more or less for good) whether in protest over one thing or another or (more likely) in search of a gentler environment.  I know that one cannot "go back again," but some places do stick in my mind and Darjeeling, India, is one of them.  Kashmir is another, though since being there in 1980, the politics have totally shifted and aren't good for the likes of me.  At any rate, I fantasize sometimes about what it would be like to put aside most of my worldly goods and enter something similar to the fourth stage of a Hindu's life--the householder who says goodbye and goes off to meditate or cogitate.  (The four stages are student, householder, retired, ascetic/meditator.) 

In this return to a simpler life, I have envisioned a trim, wooden house, perhaps no more than one room overlooking some part of the Himalaya.  It is a fantasy, as I say, but, while immersed in this dreamy state some years ago--twelve to be exact--I sat down and made a quick list of things that came to mind, that I would include in a goodbye letter.  For what it's worth, here it is.


Dear Friends,
  1. I shall write letters, but I shall not expect answers in return unless you are so moved.
  2. I shall think of you fondly at times of celebration, birthdays, Christmas, but I shall no longer necessarily send cards or gifts.
  3. I shall welcome all visitors and will locate accommodations for you when you visit.
  4. I shall devote my hours to reading, painting, writing, walking, dancing, playing musical instruments, drinking cups of tea with friends, arranging flowers in a vase.
  5. I shall get up with the sun, enjoy sunsets across the mountains, and go to bed when it is time to blow out the candle.
  6. I shall strive to live as healthy a life as I can.
  7. I shall hope to live where I can walk in one direction into fields and forests and in the other into town where I can buy stamps and bars of chocolate.
  8. I shall hire people to help cook my food, clean my house, tend my garden, and drive me where I need to go, though I shall pursue those activities as well.
  9. I shall return from time to time but not all that frequently.
  10. I shall write down my thoughts as insights come to me.
  11. I shall burn incense to the gods.
  12. I shall wear long skirts and comfortable clothes and not concern myself with hair style and makeup not because I don't approve of them but because I've never been able to figure them out for myself.
  13. I shall strive to equally enjoy things of the mind, body, and spirit.
  14. I shall always think of you with great affection.


1 comment:

  1. I love the part about not ever being able to figure out clothes, hair and make-up. I agree. And all these things take way too much time and money.

    ReplyDelete