Saturday, July 6, 2013

Turning Summer Photos into Watercolor Paintings


My very first posting on painting was titled "Turning a Photo into a Painting."  (To find it, see "Paintings" under "Topics" in right hand margin.)  When painting, I prefer to work from life but--especially with landscapes--that can prove discombobulating.  I mean, the light shifts, the bugs come out, it starts to rain, or there's no place, really, to set up my equipment.  Along a dusty road?  A busy sidewalk?  In fact, I find taking photos much more convenient.  I can simply click (no fuss) and then figure how to render it later.  I'll never forget one painting I did in France where I set up my chair, my portable easel, my palette, and got to work portraying a village scene.  Everything was shrouded in a morning fog which, all too soon, turned to pure sunshine.  So there I was trying to remember what the fog looked like as I worked in high sunlight.

Here, then, are several photos I took and the subsequent watercolor paintings I made back in my studio.





"A Bright Fourth"





"The West River at Weston"





"Red Barn in Shadow"





"Mary's Garden"





"Katherine's Rose III"

And two from France.





"View Toward Fort St-André"





"Rochebaudin Church and Ruins"



No comments:

Post a Comment