Saturday, April 26, 2014

Sewing Basket Nostalgia



Does anyone mend anymore?  I mean take needle and thread and sew up a hole?  Just curious.

My sewing basket.  (I'm particularly fond of the old-fashioned scissors case, made and embroidered by some forebear.)




How well I remember when my grandmother would come over to our house and ask what she could do to help, and my mother would haul out The Mending.  Holes in socks, frayed table cloths and linen napkins, pants with scraped knees.  I loved seeing her get out the sewing basket and start to work.  Often, she'd hold up a needle and ask me to use my Good Eyes (as she liked to phrase it) to thread it for her.

I've had this 50 years ... a very useful gift someone made for me.


So, my question again is, do people still mend?  Or do we 1) wear clothes with holes in them, 2) throw them out, or 3) take them to our local version of Experienced Goods and let someone else deal with the torn and tatty places?

And then do people these days even know how to darn?  You know:  setting down rows of stitches, then interweaving the thread across them. (Particularly good for holes in the elbows of sweaters.)

These days, I find I mostly sew on buttons or mend holes in socks.

This is my darning egg which is really handy for mending socks.


Whether a lost art or not, mending seems a satisfactory task.  Meditative, too.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I often mend things, especially socks, wool gloves, sweaters and umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete