Saturday, April 5, 2014

Santa Fe Eats

On my recent trip to Santa Fe, I tried out some new eating spots--both new to the town and new to me--and also returned to some old favorites.  I consider the diversity and quality of restaurant fare there to be top notch.

New spots:

1.  Izanami features "Japanese-inspired seasonal small plates."  Newly constructed at the 10,000 Waves Japanese Spa a few miles out of town.  Very airy, high ceiling, Japanese lanterns, comfy booths, tasteful decor, classy food.



After miso soup, my entree here was sushi rice, 2 pieces of chicken, a topping of slivered veggies, and a ginger dipping sauce.

Dessert was panko encrusted banana with a caramel sauce

2.  Midtown Bistro.  Highly popular. As soon as the lunch hour arrived, it filled with reservation holders.  A bit noisy but a pleasant atmosphere.







I got the half-sandwich/cup-of-soup special with a small mixed green salad.  The sandwich was roasted pork loin with caramelized onions, fontina cheese, and honey-mustard aioli.  Key lime pie for dessert.


3.  Sweetwater Harvest Kitchen which features organic, gluten-free, and sustainably farmed items.  Another very pleasant atmosphere.

I joined two friends here for supper.  I got the duck breast with roasted veggies in a sauce of figs and cherry mead.

New spots for me but not new to the town:

4.  La Choza.  Where the locals go for quality New Mexican food.  Tons of cheese, chiles, beans, and fried rice.  It fills up early on with families.




Posole, beans, and a blue-corn tortilla enchilada

5.  Burro Alley Cafe.  Right in the heart of town, easy access, bright and airy, good menu.

I got a chicken crepe for lunch.  Check out that BLUE sky!!
Old favorite spots:

6. Zia Diner.  Always dependable for breakfast, lunch, or supper.  In the Guadalupe Street area.

7.  Steaksmith's on the road out of town.  My friend and I happened to be there on a Thursday evening which turned out to be mariachi night.  4 guitarists, 2 violinists, and someone on the trumpet, all sharing the solo singing spots.  The steaks, of course, are fabulous and the mariachis great fun.




Mariachi Sonidos del Monte

8.  Harry's Roadhouse.  A long-time favorite very near Steaksmith.


My friend and I stopped here for take-out dessert. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for joining us on Thursday night at The Steaksmith! We hope to see you again soon. Next time feel free to say hi to the mariachis. We'll play and sing one or two tunes for you.

    ReplyDelete