Saturday, January 24, 2015

Orchids ... at Home and on Winter Trips Away



I've never thought of myself as having a green thumb.  So when I decided to try out orchids, I made sure I got proper instructions.  When to water.  When not to water.  When to re-pot.  When to fertilize.  Where to place in terms of sun and shade.  I started out with a lovely all-white Phalaenopsis.  Then, after many months, when that didn't seem to want to re-bloom, I got a white-with-pink.  When that didn't seem to want to re-bloom (was this confirming my non-green-thumb status?), I got one that was deep pink.  When that didn't seem to want to re-bloom, I got a white tinged with greenish yellow.  That hasn't re-bloomed either. 

So my tally to date is four orchids, none of which has re-bloomed, two of which have died, another of which is looking like it might go any day.  Obviously, something isn't working.

But, to carry on, right now (January/February) is the best time of year to be gone from this particular climate if one isn't a skier, skater, or cross-country-ite.  And I'm none of those.  When I first came to this region, I was asked, "Do you ski?"  (Implying, "Rather necessary if you're going to enjoy winters around here.")  Ha, I thought!  Hardly.  But I replied, "No, I live alone."  Which obviously meant, "There's no one to buy the groceries or help me up the stairs if I break a leg."

So if my own orchids won't be forthcoming, I'll gather my orchid photos from winter trips* and share them with you.

 


















As for this next photo, it's an entire row of orchids set out in the airport in Seoul, South Korea.  Now that's what I call an impressive airport!




Finally, here's one of mine--my #2 orchid. The white-with-pink in its first and only blooming.








*Bali and Hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment