Saturday, February 28, 2015

Gallery of Photos: The Santa Barbara Farmers Market

The Saturday morning one, not the Tuesday afternoon one.





I made my way down to Cota and Santa Barbara Streets where I found much of the block filled with vendors, trucks, and customers all to the tune of rousing music.  I'd hoped to find a beautiful display of French cheeses, a multitude of olives, and some bakers competing for my trade in tempting loaves.  Well, no ... but I did find a plethora of fresh produce (THIS time of year, I thought to myself) including this region's avocados, lemons, and oranges.  There were glorious heads of lettuce.  Chayote squash.  (I didn't buy one but remembered liking it as a child.)  Goat cheeses from off east of L.A.  Fabulous pistachios ($$).  Garlic-roasted nuts.  Orchids.  An orange-robed guru led a coterie of four young women dressed in Indian clothing.  Many people were in summer attire.  (I'm still not used to finding that in FEBRUARY!)

It was all Very California!




How's that for a handsome passel of leeks!


No, they're not dyed

All grown right here.






Mandarin oranges the size of small tangerines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment