Saturday, February 7, 2015

Beautiful Stamps: Laos



Question:  So why stamps from Laos?  Answer: Well, besides believing they are among the most beautiful stamps I've ever seen, it was exactly this time of year that I first set foot in Laos back in the '60s--back when it was still a kingdom.  Royaume du Laos.

In fact, this seemed the perfect season to arrive--dry and not too hot.  That shifted after some weeks, heating up intolerably.  And then the rains came, called the Mango Showers.  After four months, I was then gone again.  But still being a stamp collector at that time (I am no longer), I came away with a selection which I share with you here.  

Someone back then said that these stamps were designed by the French.  The implication being that such expertise was left over from when that region was all part of French Indochina.  But whether or not that is true, I have no idea.



































1 comment:

  1. Beautiful stamps! The English name of the bird on the last stamp would appear to be "white-crested laughing thrush" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-crested_laughingthrush). Mary

    ReplyDelete