Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lost Edges

Pink Peony


I want to talk about a technique I found myself using and expanding on as I began doing more and more painting some years ago.  What happened was this:  I knew that everything I was painting was too careful, too tight.  I wanted a freer expression.  So I began dropping edges.  Letting the paper carry the image off and away ... knowing the brain would be able to "fill in" those images without any difficulty.

I've included some of these images in past blog postings but I'm pulling them out again to illustrate this specific topic.  As you see, dropping the edges, not articulating them adds an ethereal quality.  A mystery, even.  And it works with watercolor, especially, since one only needs to add water and let the puddling, the mystery do its work without having to touch it again.

So for you painters out there, I share this with you and urge you to try it.  Just be casual about it and have fun.


Peony Epiphany



Three Daffodils


April Morning



Untitled Petunias

N.B.  This posting begins my blog's fifth year.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful paintings, and a lovely beginning for the fifth year!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete